Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Wedding Card Box

My wedding card box turned out to be a complete DIY success!



1. Box 1: I saw an empty paper box floating around at work and realized that with the lid it would make a perfect box! I measured and cut off the end side/square off the box, then cut the rest of the box down to size so that it would be perfectly square. I used packaging tape to tape the side/square back on to the box. I used the same method with the top, ending up with a perfectly square box with a fitting lid. I made sure the lid didn't fit too tightly as I knew I'd be folding the fabric into the inside, and I wanted to make sure the lid would still fit later. I put Box 2 on the lid of this box and traced the outline. Then I eyeballed about a half an inch inside of that box, then cut away a square with a box cutter knife. There was a lip for Box 2 to sit on.











2. Box 2: For the top box, I was a little more lazy and went to Hobby Lobby to buy it a paper mache pre-made box. Leaving a lip in the bottom of the box, I cut out a square as big as the square I already cut in Box 1. I also cut a rectangular slit for the envelopes into the lid. The paper mache box was easier to cut than I thought it would be!

3. I purchased 2 yards of a black fabric (I honestly don't know what it is called, but I got it at JoAnn Fabrics in the special occassion section) with a velvety black design. It was 6.99/yard but was also on a 30% off sale. I originally thought I wanted to cover the boxes in satin so that it would shine, but I realized that would be a disaster due to the nature of the satin. I didn't want the imperfections in the actual boxes to show through in lumps or bumps, or the hot glued parts to look bumpy under the satin. I opted for this thicker material because it seemed to be somewhat stiff...plus, it is beautiful!

4. I wrapped Box 1 like a present, with the exception that I made sure my folds went vertical along an edge of the box. I didn't want a bunch of seams/folds on two sides of the box. I hot glued around the edges once I determined how the fabric would lay on each side.

5. I placed the lid of Box 1 face down on the material and folded in/hot glued the edges into the inner part of the lid. I then cut an X into the open square and folded each triangle into the lid, gluing in place.

Box 1 Complete!

6. With Box 2 I wrapped the fabric around the outside, glued vertical folds along the back edge, and folded in the edges.

7. Once I had the lid and box complete, I glued the top box onto the bottom box.

8. I cut the ribbon and glued it inside the card slot, then stretched it to the bottom and glued it on the underside of the large box. I repeated this on each side. I made a simple bow tie out of ribbon and hot glued that separately onto the top.


I love my cardbox!!




I'm planning to get a few chipboard letters that say "Cards" and paint them silver or white, and glue them on the front lid of the top box. Then I might play around with a small "Thank You" sign that I could hang somewhere from the box.

Total Time: About 2 Hours
Total Cost: About $15 (top box and fabric, I already had the ribbon and glue gun/sticks)

I will use this for both my bridal shower and the wedding.


No comments:

Post a Comment