Tuesday, November 23, 2010

175 Save The Dates for under $130

Have I told you yet that we are very simple, non-fussy people? We really don't get caught up in traditions and etiquette-pounding Miss Manners-esque rules. Although we are having a generally traditional wedding, we feel that there are a few areas we can skimp on in the name of saving money and expressing our personalities.

This brings me to Save The Dates. Although I wish I could share with you an awesome tutorial and photos on my step-by-step process of designing my Save The Dates, I went the easy route and ordered them online. This is one of the few things that I decided not to take on as a DIY project. I did, however, come thisclose to making a fauxtobooth version -- exactly like this WeddingBee DIY'er.

I've seen the elaborate versions and felt they would be well-suited for a small and intimate wedding but truly don't feel that out of our 300 guests, very many of them would actually save their Save the Date.


Cost Cut #1: Postcard Save The Dates
I didn't want to have to send an envelope. Okay, so a regular mailing stamp is only 0.16 cents more than a postcard stamp but when you add up 300 of them, I'd be saving approximately $50 by sending a postcard rather than an envelope. Everyone just throws away an envelope anyway. (And although I'm not a hardcore tree-hugger, I like my environment and see the uselessness in sending an envelope when I don't have to.)

Cost Cut #2: SaveTheDateMagic.com
I looked in to many different versions of Save The Dates and thought about spending a lot of time on them to make them really unique and interesting. But I knew I'd be working hard on the actual wedding invitations down the road, and I didn't want to spend hours of my energy on the Save The Dates only to turn around and have to spend hours on the invitations. This lady can only handle so much cutting and gluing and folding in one shot. I searched the web and found http://www.savethedatemagic.com/. I began creating. It is one of the cheapest options out there for postcards that you can personalize. Other sites let you personalize with a photo but you can't actually change the text and font size, move those around, or add art. I loved having a low price with the option to personalize the cards further.

Cost Cut #3: Personal Delivery
This just happens to work out perfectly: my baby shower is being held this weekend and I will be able to personally hand over approximately 50 Save The Dates. Another 20 will go to coworkers and friends. This leaves about 100 to send out via mail.

Save The Dates (with shipping) for 250: $98.89
Postage for 100 postcards: $28

Here are the proofs that the company sent me:



I forgot to mention that I LOVE the way they turned out. They are simple, easy to mail, easy to address, and will be light enough for people to put on their fridge with a small magnet. The company was very easy to deal with and I had a great experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment